ON THIS DAY IN PRUSSIAN HISTORY
25 February 1947: The State of Prussia ceases to exist.
So it’s ‘Why kids only know of Prussia nowadays as “That place that almost sounds like Russia” part 2: Electric Boogaloo’.
Long story short: the Allied Control Council dissolved Prussia completely and totally on the grounds that it could not exist due to its militaristic history and all the baggage associated with the name. They also blamed the Prussians and “Prussian culture” for the war, even though it was started by an Austrian guy.
Above: “Prussian Culture”
So what happened afterwards?
Well Germany was in shambles, most of its leaders either dead or on their way to it, and everyone was just so fucking tired.
Then there’s Prussia.
Pretty much sums up post-war Prussia.
So after WWII, most of East Prussian lands were transferred to Poland - the people who lived there (there weren’t that many since most had either been evacuated or killed after the Red Army’s invasion) could choose to either leave, or declare themselves as Polish. Most chose to be Polish. These lands included Silesia, Further Pomerania, Eastern Brandenburg, and Eastern Prussia.
Congratulations, Poland. You finally won something during WWII.
Northern East Prussia went to the Soviet Union, including Koningsberg - which the Soviets changed to Kaliningrad - and it became known as Kaliningrad Oblast, which exists to this day. Over ten million Prussians fled or were kicked out during the takeover of Eastern Prussia during the war. That, along with the near-complete destruction of Koningsberg, helped the Soviets to completely rebuild the Oblast without a trace of Germanic culture.
FUN FACT: Stalin was content on keeping the name “Prussia” on the map (at least in “Soviet Prussia”) because the Russians had a very different view of Prussia. They had allied in several wars and helped each other regain and maintain independence from invaders, and for the most part the Soviets did not “blame” Prussia for the war.
However, the other Allied nations won out, and law #46 of the Allied control Council successfully wiped Prussia from existence.
It’s okay. Prussia lives on in your heart. And that’s all that matters.
- bluethunder2999 likes this
- maxisodity likes this
- chocolatemunchkin7 reblogged this from lexiconicality
- lexiconicality reblogged this from fandomdoodler
- coyotes-in-my-head reblogged this from germanbrothers
- lucifer-the-moose-ifer reblogged this from germanbrothers
- tillmathilda likes this
- angel-requiem reblogged this from germanbrothers
- canada-why reblogged this from germanbrothers
- comic-lover reblogged this from germanbrothers
- senpaialeks reblogged this from germanbrothers
- senpaialeks likes this
- voulkari likes this
- toinfinityandbeyonda113 likes this
- the-extreme-shipper reblogged this from germanbrothers
- fenikkusuhime likes this
- mamalookatme likes this
- oresamaschmidt likes this
- savvytimelord007 reblogged this from germanbrothers
- savvytimelord007 likes this
- skittykay likes this
- hey-it-is-noah likes this
- hey-it-is-noah reblogged this from blog-bound
- blog-bound reblogged this from germanbrothers
- blog-bound likes this
- sparky-the-gecko likes this
- bmore18 likes this
- negatively-optimistic reblogged this from ludwigglethatbootyschmidt
- itstheroyloy reblogged this from germanbrothers
- lolzmelmel likes this
- evermoreeclipse reblogged this from generaljernhierta
- evermoreeclipse likes this
- scharlakenrood reblogged this from germanbrothers
- galiux likes this
- nightphoenix10 reblogged this from you-are-the-wurst
- clarebearchen reblogged this from all-hail-jeremy-brett
- clarebearchen likes this
- shou-shouyou likes this
- fandomdoodler reblogged this from shota-theory
- kalamata-malavara reblogged this from germanbrothers
- shota-theory reblogged this from catchingadri
- hellowinterdreamsworld likes this
- xxtoxicrosexx reblogged this from thevirtuosoaustrianaristocrat
- all-hail-jeremy-brett reblogged this from awesome-at-an-impossible-rate
- all-hail-jeremy-brett likes this
- midnightcatk likes this
- awesome-at-an-impossible-rate likes this
- awesome-at-an-impossible-rate reblogged this from vividvivianna
- cj2destiel reblogged this from germanbrothers
- katinglasses reblogged this from homestuckian-devil